Eddie Howe would like to add at least one more player to his Bournemouth squad this summer, but he won’t buy for the sake of buying.
The Cherries have made a fine start to the Championship season, starting with successive victories against Huddersfield Town (4-0) and Brentford (1-0). This puts them on top in the early league table, although they face a stiff test on Tuesday night when they take on a Nottingham Forest side who are also unbeaten thus far.
It remains to be seen if the Dean Court side, who finished tenth in the second-tier last season, can mount a push for promotion, but Howe recognises their chances would likely be improved if he can add to his squad. However, the 36-year-old insists that whilst he wants to bring more faces in, he will only consider better than he already has.
“We are keen to do something,” Howe, who has been linked with Norwich City midfielder Andrew Surman following an impressive loan last term, told the Bournemouth Echo. “I don’t over-react to wins or losses. You try to have a plan and a long-term plan and stick to it. We evaluate the squad all the time and are looking at one or two additions.
“But, as I have said before, there are no guarantees. You only want to get the right players, ones you think potentially will make you better and strengthen your squad. We certainly won’t do anything we feel rushed into and will take each individual player on their own merits. We would like to but we will have to wait and see.”
So far this summer, Bournemouth have signed Callum Wilson (Coventry City), Dan Gosling (Newcastle United), and Junior Stanislas (Burnley), whilst their biggest departure was star striker Lewis Grabban, who joined Norwich for a reported £3million.