Brendan Rodgers may insist Liverpool are making little progress on the transfer front, but reports suggest they are set to make a move for Tom Ince.
The Reds are in genuine contention for a top-four finish in the Premier League this season, having finished outside the UEFA Champions League qualifying places in each of the last four campaigns. A win over Everton on Tuesday would further strengthen their cause, as this would see them move four points clear of their rivals from Goodison Park.
Their chances would also be boosted if they could add to their options before the window closes on Friday evening, but it has so far been a frustrating month for Rodgers. Top target Mohamed Salah has left FC Basle for Chelsea in an £11million deal, whilst rumours linking them with Romulo, the Spartak Moscow midfielder, have come to nothing.
With time now most certainly against Liverpool in regards to strengthening their squad, Rodgers admits he is not hopeful of unveiling a new signing this winter. And rather than make a signing for the sake of it, the former Swansea City coach will more than likely wait until the summer transfer window at the end of the current season.
“There’s certainly nothing imminent,” said Rodgers. “I’m just reluctant to bring in anyone that is just going to stockpile players. We need to bring in players that are really going to affect the starting XI. If we can’t do that, then we won’t be doing anything. The club is working hard to find the players; it’s just a very difficult market.”
Despite these quotes, Sky Sports claim the Reds have joined the race to sign Ince. The England Under-21 international began his career at the Anfield club, but was allowed to join Blackpool for just £500,000 in 2011. He has blossomed into one of the most exciting talents in the country during his time at Bloomfield Road, and with his contract set to expire at the end of the season, he has been heavily tipped to move on this month.
Swansea City have already held talks with the 21-year-old after renewing an interest they held during the summer, whilst Hull City, Stoke City, Sunderland and Monaco are also said to be interested. But if Liverpool were to meet the demands of the Seasiders, it is more than likely that the forward would opt for a return to Merseyside.