David Moyes was ready to commit his future to Everton.
The Scot joined the Goodison Park club in March 2002, and has since gone on to establish himself as one of the best coaches in the country. With his contract set to expire at the end of the current season, there has been much speculation over his future in recent weeks, and he himself had stated he would only consider his options during the summer.
However, when the offer to succeed the retiring Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United came around this week, Moyes couldn’t say no. But the 50-year-old has hit back at suggestions that this job had been in the pipeline for some time, and insists he was prepared to sign a new contract and continue his fine work on Merseyside.
“I wasn’t planning on leaving,” said Moyes in his first press conference since agreeing a six-year deal at Old Trafford. “My contract was running out but we were planning for pre-season. All we’ve ever done here is keep planning.” When asked if he had considered turning down United’s approach, he said: “I have to be honest and say no.”
Moyes will begin his new job on July 1, but before then, he has to negotiate Everton’s final two matches of the season. In what is sure to be an emotional afternoon, the fans will get the chance to say farewell to the former Preston North End boss when West Ham United visit for the final home match of the season on Sunday. And on the final day of the campaign, the Blues will head to the capital to face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.