Brendan Rodgers has not lined up a deal to sign Aly Cissokho.
The France international has spent the past twelve months in Spain, playing 25 times for Valencia last season as they narrowly missed out on a UEFA Champions League spot. Yet speaking to Le Sport 10 last week, the fullback claimed to have agreed terms on a move to Liverpool, insisting the two clubs were negotiating the transfer.
Cissokho claimed that the Reds wanted to take him on an initial loan deal with the view to a permanent switch next summer, but Los Che were only interested in the permanent sale of a player who still has three years remaining on his contract: “Liverpool have made me an offer and it is true that I have reached an agreement with them,” he said. “It is now up to the clubs to agree terms. I expect to know more later this week.”
However, Rodgers has wasted little time in denying he has lined up a deal for the 25-year-old, who won his only cap for Les Bleus in a friendly match with Norway almost three years ago. Speaking ahead of their final pre-season friendly against Celtic on Saturday, the Anfield boss is quoted in the Daily Mail as saying: “There’s nothing on the Cissokho story.”
This isn’t the first time Cissokho has claimed to be on the verge of a move to England. Back in January 2012, whilst he was still at Lyon, he told Sky Sports News that Newcastle United were in discussions with the Ligue 1 side about his potential signature. However, the Magpies twice denied an interest in the player, who moved to Spain six months later.