Robins quits Huddersfield following Bournemouth battering

Mark Robins has resigned as manager of Huddersfield Town, less than 24 hours after their opening day 4-0 defeat to Bournemouth.

The former Manchester United striker was installed as Terriers boss in January 2013, and ensured they avoided relegation into League One on the final day of his first season in charge. Last term was more comfortable for the club, when the former Rotherham United, Barnsley and Coventry City led them to a 17th place finish.

In preparation for the current term, the 44-year-old was able to bolster his squad with Lee Peltier, Radoslaw Majewski and, just last week, he fought off competition from a number of clubs to lure Conor Coady from Liverpool. All three featured on the opening day of the new season, but following the 4-0 home defeat to Bournemouth, the club announced that Robins had agreed to resign from his position.

A statement on the club’s website read: “Following yesterday’s first day defeat, Mark met with the board of directors. At the conclusion of the meeting, Mark and the directors all agreed it would be in the interests of all parties to part company. Accordingly, Mark’s contract has ended amicably and by mutual consent. Huddersfield Town would like to place on record its thanks to Mark and wish him all the best for the future.”

It was clear that Robins felt hugely let down by his players following the humiliating defeat at the hands of the Cherries. Speaking after the match, he struggled to contain his emotions, saying: “It was an absolute disgrace. We didn’t play with any idea. It looked like we hadn’t done anything all summer, or that we’d been wasting our time. That’s really disappointing to me, because we worked really hard over the summer to put something together and we believe in what we’re doing.”

Huddersfield now turn their attentions to the Capital One Cup, when they travel to League One side Chesterfield on Tuesday night. They will look to get some points on the board when they resume their Championship campaign with a trip to Cardiff City on Saturday, which is followed with a journey to Reading three days later. Following the departure of Robins, assistant manager Steve Thompson and first team coach Steve Eyre will take charge of the first team until a permanent successor is installed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *