Crystal Palace have been told to improve their latest bid if they want to take Mamadou Sakho from Liverpool before Thursday.
Although he only featured for the Eagles eight times last season, his presence was enormous and played a key role in their escape from the relegation zone. So even though Sam Allardyce is no longer in charge at Selhurst Park, it is no surprise that they have been chasing a permanent deal for the defender this summer.
Sakho is currently kicking his heels in exile after falling out with Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, who is happy to offload him before Thursday’s deadline. However, the Anfield club are holding out for £30million for the former Paris Saint Germain star, whilst the latest offer from Palace is believed to be worth £5million shy of this amount.
The Reds, for their part, have told the capital club that whilst they are not prepared to lower their valuation of the 27-year-old, they are willing to accept a structured deal. This could help get the transfer over the line before Thursday 11pm deadline, which would be a huge relief for the already under-pressure Frank de Boer.
The Dutchman has endured a difficult welcome to life in England, and only West Ham United are keeping his side off the bottom of the Premier League table by virtue of goal difference. The Eagles have lost all three matches so far, the latest being a particularly disappointing 2-0 reverse at home to Swansea City.