Norwich City have finally wrapped up the signing of Steve Naismith, having failed with a number of attempts to land him during the summer.
Canaries boss Alex Neil had lined up his Scottish compatriot once his side had sealed a return to the Premier League, but they were unable to persuade Everton to sell the forward. However, City renewed their interest as soon as the January transfer window reopened, and the 29-year-old has now signed a three-and-a-half year deal after the two clubs agreed a fee.
“He’s a fighter, he wants to battle and he’s a hard worker,” Neill told Sky Sports News HQ. “He’s got goals in him and he’s determined to come here, play football and do well. He’s a great addition to the squad. He can fill a host of roles, but his experience and determination are great. If we add one or two more players then we will be in good shape for the run-in.”
Naismith began his career at Kilmarnock, and also had five years at Rangers before heading to England and Goodison Park in the summer of 2012. During his time on Merseyside the Scotland international, who has 41 caps for his country, scored 25 goals in 123 appearances, but he has struggled for game-time this term despite his September hat-trick against Chelsea.
“I’m very happy to have signed because now I can concentrate on the football side of things,” Naismith, who is thought to have cost £8.5million, told their official club website on Tuesday. “Norwich City have displayed class in the way they’ve done their business all the way through. They’ve shown how much they wanted me, which is great, and I’m delighted to be here.”
It is understood Naismith rejected late interest from Swansea City before agreeing to join Norwich, who also signed Switzerland international defender Timm Klose from Wolfsburg in an £8.5million deal this week. Matt Jarvis joined from West Ham United in a £2.5million deal earlier this month, and Ivo Pinto (Dinamo Zagreb) and Ben Godfrey (York City) have also arrived.